Here are a couple of examples of the good work done by all of our volunteers!
Suggested sizes for blankets:
Infants – 36″x36″ to 40″x 40″ Child (2-4) 45″x60″
Youth (7-12) 50″x70″ Teen (13-18) 60″x80″
Facebook: NRV Project Linus
Hello to all of our wonderful Blanketeers and friends!
Now in our third year, we are again thrilled to offer you the opportunity to participate in our 2021 Knit and Crochet Along. Just as in previous years, you can choose to knit, crochet, or do both. Signing up is super easy. Just click the button below to get started.
By the end of the next business day after you sign up we will email you information on how to login and download information on supplies required for the Knit and Crochet Along. Then beginning Saturday, March 13, 2021 we will make available pattern segments you can download for the knit and/or crochet patterns for which you signed up. Each Saturday through May 1, 2021 we will release new pattern segments to download (there are a total of 8 pattern segments each for the Knit and Crochet Along patterns).
Current Statistics for NRV PROJECT LINUS
Blankets received October – December 2020 – 357
Blankets distributed October – December – 426
Total Blankets Distributed since NRV Project Linus inception – 43,329
Would you like to learn a special skill??
NRV Project Linus provides weighted blankets to children with special needs. These blankets retail for between $100-$250 making it totally inaccessible for most children in need. We have an expert weighted blanket artisan who can’t wait to share her skills with someone who would like to learn to assist with this special project. Materials are provided but you would need to own a sewing machine and have basic sewing skills. Please contact Penny Sweet if you are interested.
PROJECT LINUS DID YOU KNOW?
- Karen Loucks started Project Linus on December 24,1995. The New River Valley-Radford Chapter begin in June, 2000.
- Project Linus nationally has been alive for 6.942 days as of January 1.2017
- Project Linus nationally has had non-profit status since May 12, 1997
- The New River Valley-Radford Chapter of Project Linus donated 2,441 blankets in 2016. Since we started, we have delivered 33,467 blankets!
- Project Linus nationally has officially collected over 6,063,751 blankets as of January 1, 2017. If 60% of them are fabric, that translated into over 10,914,751 yards of fabric. If 40% are afghans, that is over 19,404,003 skeins of yarn.
- If each blanket is an average of 60: long, and we laid them end to end, they would stretch 30,318,755 feet or 5,742 miles. That is as tall as 1,44 Mt. Everests, or 17,071 One World Trade Centers or 24,255 Empire State Buildings or as long as 101,062 football fields.
Project Linus was named after the adorable security blanket-toting character from the Peanuts© comic strip. Creator Charles Schulz was aware of our efforts and was delighted to have Linus inspire blanket makers to help comfort children in need.
Project Linus began in December 1995 after Karen Loucks was inspired to make blankets for her local children’s cancer center. Since then, Project Linus has expanded to include children who are seriously ill or traumatized in many ways.
Project Linus is a volunteer non-profit organization with a two-fold mission:
FIRST, it is our mission to provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer “blanketeers.”
SECOND, it is our mission to provide rewarding and fun service opportunity for interested individuals and groups in local communities, for the benefit of children.
Anyone, any age, can help these children. It is within your power to make a difference.
Nearly 400 chapters of Project Linus exist nationally, with more than 4,000,000 blankets donated to children.